DAILY INSIGHT: Surveys and assessments
By Nancy Caramanico, CIO Advisor
In bringing the benefits of technology to education and indeed to any organization, needs assessments and surveys are a valuable tool for School CIOs and school leaders. These can work hand in hand with your school plans and technology plans. Both in the planning stages and during implementation, surveys can provide you with valuable feedback which can lead you to the goals you envision.
Seeking input and feed back is essential to the success of any initiative. This survey feedback can act as a 'GPS' telling you where you are currently and what you need to do to get to your destination. Your school or district technology plan is your map. Needs assessments and surveys can get you on the right path and keep you there.
These assessments can look at both classroom technology and overall technology needs in your school or district. Below are some resources for this purpose.
Topics for Assessment - Consider Survey Topics
Framework & Assessment Instruments - Below are some existing Surveying Guides and Instruments
Create Your Own - Ways to Customize to Your School/District Needs
- Technology Integration
- Tech Support and Equipment
- Professional Development
- Digital Citizenship
- Digital Learning and Skills
- Lesson Planning for 21st Century Learning
- Emerging Technology, New Ideas
Tools to Use - Sampling of Available Online Tools
- TIM - Technology Integration Matrix created by the University of Southern Florida - Matrix which has been a model for other states and schools
- Framework - Base it on given frameworks such as ISTE's Nets, P21 or other frameworks
- Local Vision - Base it on current school/district vision and other existing plans such as Technology plans
- Zoomerang - Survey Tool - Free version or get additional features by subscription
- Survey Monkey - Survey Tool - Free version or get additional features by subscription
- Google Docs - Google Forms - Free. Includes many options. Data imports into spreadsheet format
- Loti - Loti Survey - Administrative and Teacher Available
This post is cross posted by Nancy Caramanico on TechConnects